bim Amude Alkatiri is the first Prime
Minister of an internationally recognized Timor-Leste.
Before entering politics, he was a chartered surveyor,
and lived in exile during Indonesian occupation.
As the Chief of Government, he is supported by the Minister
in the Presidency of the Council of Ministers and by the
Secretary of State for Parliamentary Affairs. The following
services and bodies are directly under the Prime Minister.
He is also responsible for those that are not formally
integrated in a Ministry or Secretariat of State such
as the Timor Sea Office and the Government Information
- National Service for State Security
- Office of the Advisor for Human Rights
- Office of the Advisor for Image and Social Communications
- Office of the Advisor of Promotion of Equality
- Capacity Development Coordination Unit
- The Banking and Payments Authority
The Prime Minister is responsible
for the defence and implementation of budget statements
and government policy generally. Although he consults
widely and must seek the approval from the Council of
Ministers, he is ultimately responsible for all government