WWW.Timor-Leste.Gov.TL is the official
portal web site for the Government of Timor-Leste and acts as a
gateway for providing government information and services through
the Internet. It is primarily intended to act as a complimentary
channel for citizens, non-citizens and businesses dealing with the
WWW.Timor-Leste.Gov.TL is maintained by the IT Division, Ministry
of Transport, Communication & Public Works.
Vision & Objectives
The goal of the Information & Services
Portal is to use information and communications technologies to
provide better government services and information electronically.
The following were the objectives set out for the project:
- Initially, all available online services
and information relevant to the public to be made accessible via
- Progressively, all services and information
that can be made available online be made accessible through the
- The portal design has to be citizen-centric.
- The portal design has to reflect Timor-Leste
culture and heritage.
- It should provide a complementary channel
for citizens dealing with the government.
- It should be accessible via commonly used
world-wide-web search engines.
- It should be available 24 hrs per day, seven
days a week.
Brief Description of the Project
In order to enable convenient citizen and
public sector interaction, Internet is a key medium for all E-Government
initiatives around the world. This project focuses on a similar
initiative. This is the face of the government to the world. At
stake will be the image and reputation of the Government in general
and Timor-Leste as a state in particular. Quality and value of information
to the citizens and visitors to web sites will be the denominator
to benchmark the integrity of this project.
The project involves development of the first-ever web Information
& Services Portal for the Government of Timor-Leste with which
web sites of different federal Ministries/Divisions will be integrated
so that a single point of access is available to citizens with a
strong search facility for different types of information on the
In addition, websites will be made for the Ministries / Divisions
of the Government of Timor-Leste. These sites will contain useful
information for all potential users, both domestic and international.
The information contained will include organizational details, rules
and procedures, contact persons and their email, downloadable forms
and data of interest to the general public. Citizens will be able
to access the individual web sites or get required services from
the central portal to which all the web sites will be linked. Thus
if a citizen is interested only in a particular service and does
not want to or does not need to know which ministry/division to
contact then he can access the central portal only which would list
the available services.
A structured arrangement will be made in each Division for regular
updating of the web sites to host all new tender/job notices, latest
official gazette notifications, press releases, changes in policies
and other news items that need to be highlighted.
The project will entail conceptualization, planning, designing,
developing, hosting and maintaining the web site which should also
include acceptance of queries and searching relevant databases for
Functional Capabilities of Portal
Based on the vision and objectives identified
above, the portal will have the following functional capabilities:
Scope of Services
- Citizens will be able to easily find information
and services through a well-developed menu structure and sophisticated,
easy-to-use, advanced search facility.
- The portal has been designed using latest,
industry-standard web technologies, with the concept that ultimately
it will be a fully interactive web site capable of handling on-line
processing and financial transactions.
- It should ultimately be e-commerce enabled.
- The portal willenable convenient, low cost,
high value, reliable and high quality services to the citizens.
- It will build an image of Timor-Leste as
a modern state that is an attractive location for people and businesses.
- It will make it easier for citizens to participate
in government working, if they desire to do so.
- The information and services content has
been integrated, packaged and presented in a manner that minimises
cost to the government and the citizen who is accessing it.
- The portal design should provide acceptable
performance. The design is simple, with minimum graphics.
- The portal does not duplicate information
available on other government or non-government web sites, but
providee links to it.
- The portal complies with international web
- It provides online FAQs.
- It provides an effective complaints resolution
process to end-users.
- It is capable of personalised service delivery.
- It provides a framework for cross-departmental
/ cross-agency service delivery.
order to implement this project, IT Division Ministry of Communication,
Transport & Public Work has been engaged after completing all
codal formalities and it has completed activities leading up to hosting
stage. The various activities performed between them are as follows:
The IT division roles are as follows:
- Design and development of the Government
portal and development of standard templates to be followed for
other Government of Timor-Leste web sites, with the concept that
this will be a highly interactive and dynamic portal, linking
all the individual web sites of the divisions and concentrating
on services requirements of the citizens.
- Development of guide lines for the use, management
and design of public sector websites.
- Assisting IT Department in soliciting public
opinion on contents and services requirements for the RDTL portal.
Thereafter to helpIT Department in sifting and structuring the
information received from different divisions as well as public
response to advertisement on the subject.
- Provide training to approx. 150 people in
the Ministries in web maintenance and updating .
- Identification of the core skills set required
for implementation and post implementation support, assist in
hiring of the staff and to train the staff.
For achieving smooth implementation
of the project, the resource persons nominated by each ministry /
division will be the focal point of contact. These resource persons
will be responsible for providing the information required to be posted
in a standard format.
- Portal Architecture design, development and
- Project Management Plan
- Skills analysis and transfer Plan for maintenance
of individual ministry/division web sites during the post implementation
- Standards Documents: The following documents
are required to be delivered by the end date of the project:
- Web Standards and Guidelines
- Metadata standards and guidelines
- Internet usage guidelines for government
- Electronic Records Management Guidelines
- Data Management Guidelines
- Information Privacy Framework and Guidelines
- Information Security Framework and Guidelines
- Preparation of RFPs/RFQs for development
of the individual ministry/division web sites.
- Proposal for post-implementation structure.
updating of information placed on the Portal
significance of regular updating of information placed on the Portal
needs no emphasis. Most of the existing websites are deficient in
this respect. In order to overcome this drawback, a structural arrangement
is being made at each Ministry so as to bring all the latest developments
on their web sites, e.g. latest tender/job/scholarship notices, latest
notification on publications in official gazettes, changes in forms,
press releases and other news that needs highlighting.
Benefits of the Project
The benefits of the project are:
- Enhance the Government of Timor-Leste's image
in the eyes of the citizen and foreign investors
- Information dissemination to the citizens
and strengthen the relationship between people and the state through
- Increase collaboration between government
organizations and ensure consistency in government communications
- Reduce the interaction time of government
employees with citizens and yet be productive in delivering service
to the citizen
- Create an IT aware culture in government
- Transfer of technology and skills for independently
operating the project