NATIONAL DEFENCE AND SECURITY
1. The East Timor defence force, FALINTIL-ETDF, composed exclusively by
national citizens, has the responsibility of providing military defence for the
Democratic Republic of East Timor and shall have a single system of organisation
for the whole national territory.
2. FALINTIL-ETDF shall guarantee national independence, territorial integrity
and the freedom and security of the populations against any aggression or
external threat, in respect for the constitutional order.
3. FALINTIL-ETDF shall be non-partisan and shall owe obedience to the
competent organs of sovereignty in accordance with the Constitution and the
laws, and shall not intervene in political matters.
(Police and security forces)
1. The police shall defend the democratic legality and guarantee the internal
security of the citizens, and shall be strictly non-partisan.
2. Prevention of crime shall be undertaken with due respect for human
3. The law shall determine the rules and regulations for the police and other
(Superior Council for Defence and Security)
1. The Superior Council for Defence and Security is the consultative organ of
the President of the Republic on matters relating to defence and
2. The Superior Council for Defence and Security shall be headed by the
President of the Republic and shall include civilian and military entities, the
number of civilian entities being higher than the number of military entities.
3. The composition, organisation and functioning of the Superior Council for
Defence and Security shall be defined by law.